Memorial Day Thoughts

Memorial Day has always been a paradox for me. Its a solumn day to me. Maybe I'm just too complex in my thinking but in remembering those who gave their lives in all of the conflicts in our nation's history, I can't help but think about the necessities of those respective conflicts, or better yet, the necessitation of any armed conflict in which men and women have to die in order to further the prosperity of one society over another. We all know that some struggles are indeed necessary, but I'm talking in a more general sense. The fact that we, as a humanity, since humanity began, have a need for war is, at its very core, kinda of a peculiar thought when you think about it. But I can't argue that armed struggle which requires the lives of young men and women for the sake of defending freedom from those who would seek to undermine and control is definitely necessary.

My honor goes out to all those who gave their lives, their surviving families, and their communities. I am blessed that my uncles who served in Vietnam were fortunate to return. Those who have fallen will not be forgotten.

I also wanna remember those who have given nothing less but maybe not in a militaristic setting. Those who gave of themselves in our communities, those who fought for rights, those who defended the oppressed, and stood for freedom even when freedom was suppressed even here at home. You too, are remembered by me on this day.

Comments

Popular Posts