From One to Done

So yesterday my Raiders finally let go of Jamarcus Russell. For damn near all of us, this was sooo welcome. To say he was unproductive is a massive understatement to say the least. Russell for the better part of these three seasons seemed uncommitted, seemingly lacking the discipline, work ethic, and probably more simply, the desire to be successful for a team looking to turn around some difficult years.

As a Raider fan, I don't hate Jamarcus. Hell, I have an authentic Russell jersey. (What am I gonna do with it now?) From all accounts, he's a very good dude. And unfortunately for him, he didn't exactly land in the most ideal of situations. For starters, he was a hold out until after the regular season had begun. He was going to an NFL team with a brand new head coach (Lane Kiffin) who had never been a head coach on any level before, and who didn't want him in the first place. And with no veteran quarterback to learn from, and with no real QB coach on the staff who could coach this raw talent on what it takes to be an NFL quarterback; not to mention an offensive roster devoid of talent, dude's chances of success in the Silver and Black wasn't exactly guaranteed.


What bothers me most about Russell was the lack of professionalism and accountability. You cannot be a young player carrying a sixty something million dollar contract and not behave like a dedicated professional trying to play the most difficult position perhaps in all of pro sports. Many people have placed the blame for Russell's failure in Oakland on the team, the organization, and the situation. However, professionalism is something that should always be on display no matter what. Regardless of how his replacement, Jason Campbell plays on the field, you can bet that he will display the professionalism and preparation, and accountability that his position demands. That in itself may inspire the players to believe that they have a teammate who will work for them, and I think they will be better than they have shown themselves to be so far.

Russell's time was finished here. Not that the organization has an obligation to listen to the fans, but the venom that rained down from the decks of the Coliseum was even too much for me that by the end of this thing, I started to feel sorry for Jamarcus' rich ass. I remember the exact point. It was late in the Raiders loss to, ironically enough, Jason Campbell's Washington Redskins on a wet East Bay afternoon. Russell had been sacked for what seemed the eighth straight time!! The boos, hisses, and profanity was just pouring down with the rain, and as Russell got up and faced us in the south endzone, he was hit with venom I have never seen a home player get in his own stadium. I knew it was over for him here. He needed a new start... and so did we.


I hope dude is successful. I like when people come back after everybody has given up on them. I am impressed with resiliency and I just think that if he applied himself, like many of us, he can do some good things. So I hope he lands a team with a stable situation, responsible leaders and teachers where he can come in at the bottom, learn how to earn, and get to work. As for whoever becomes the new quarterback, whether its Campbell or Bruce Gradkowski, it should be interesting. Is there a breath of fresh air now with the Raiders? Or will it be more of the same. Because of finances, I won't be on hand in Section 107, Row 10 Seat 15 for the eight Raider home games. Perhaps I can make one or two during the upcoming season. Either way, I'll be watching passionately from my TV or amongst friends to see what is hopefully a new and exciting brand of football...even if it takes a while to become a winning brand.

Comments

Popular Posts