Writer's Dilemma

So one of the biggest challenges of openly writing about one's life is determining just how sensitive you're going to be to those who are in your life and whom you are writing about.  It's hard to be a person actively involved with a writer because they know that that writer is going to write about them.  And while any good writer will protect their identity and not put their name all up in the streets, still, they know when that writer is writing about them.  It can't always be comfortable.

For the most part, when I write, I've always had the support of those closest to me.  However, I've never really amped it up when it comes about writing about the situations that involve people close to me, and so I can't really say that I know how it goes.  That said, I've been around writers, and I've listened to them talk about how their writing has led to some really uncomfortable moments between them and friends, family, lovers, etc etc.

I would never diss the people I love in public spaces.  I wouldn't talk shit about them in writing, or in voice.  I'd use discretion regarding how I put certain business out there.  Yet still, to convey my point of view on a situation could lead to moments of complication, and to be honest, it has my palms sweaty a little bit.

But I think it's important to remember why I write.  It's not just one reason.  Of course, it's therapeutic for me, but it's also for the reader, especially the well thought out pieces.  I want to give the reader something that they can grab ahold to, and perhaps apply to their own lives.  I like to distribute ideas and perspectives, plant seeds of consideration into minds which may be visited now, or revisited later.  Building a relationship with a reader based on human experience is my goal when I write something that I want to mean something.

So, I'll write anyway, and I'll trust that I'm able to aptly protect the feelings of the people that matter to me most in the event that I write about situations in my life that involve them.  I try and publish everything I finish, and its been that way since I started this blog 9 years ago.  But maybe somethings, while fully written out, will never get the 'publish' button pushed on them.  I'll have to see.

Comments

Popular Posts