Of Life and Winning


If life is about moments, then I've already won at life.

It was the evening of May 1st, last year.  I took a seat in front of the Roman Colosseum, and chilled.  I did not intend to come here.  I was here the day before, did all of the touristy stuff, and had the chance to soak up all of it's majesty.  But on this evening, my final evening in Italy before coming home, I had a little time to myself, and so, quite naturally, got on the wrong train (because of course I did!).  Once I realized it, I quickly hopped of at Colosseum station, which I had gotten familiar with over the preceding couple of days, and decided "Well, since I'm here, I might as well get one more look at this beautiful thing.  It may be my last time."
I was surprised. The area surrounding the Colosseum was scarce.  None of the large crowds, nor of the long lines. No tourists posing, only random walkers by with somewhere else to be.  It was weird to me; This is Colosseo!  But, I understood.  Having lived in San Antonio and the Bay Area, to me The Alamo is nothing more than something to glance at as you walk by, and the Golden Gate Bridge is nothing more than a faster drive home.
Alone, I took a seat on some stairs facing the Colosseum, and had a private moment with the structure that I've waited my whole life to see.  Dusk was falling over Rome, and night would be here soon.  Not knowing my surroundings, I took a quick thought about whether its wise to be around these parts come nighttime, but I've got time and an ability to whip ass should it come to it.  So, I relaxed.  I had won at life.  Here I am, this guy, this kid, who 10 years ago had nothing and was going nowhere, and here I now say, casually chillin on the ruins of Ancient Rome - bucket list stuff.  I had fallen in love in Italy - bucket list stuff.  I had sneaked a picture of Michelangelo's famous 'Creation of Adam' work on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - bucket list stuff.  It was the last moment of pure bliss, covered by pure love and the pure fulfillment of dreams.  This was life, and I had won.
It didn't matter that less than sixty days after this conversation with the Colosseum, my relationship was over.  Not did it matter that no more than a few days after, I was back in the grind and the toxic atmosphere of work; not did it matter that I had come back home to not being sure what the hell I was doing with my life.  We live for moments.  It's why we get up, and why we sacrifice.  A year earlier, I got to stand atop the Empire State Building at 1 am, and get a picture of Manhattan, all lit up in it's concrete glory.  At any time of my choosing, I get to take a half hour drive, and stand at the edge of the world, starting out into the Pacific.  On Sundays during the fall, I get to watch my favorite NFL team play in person.  All of the experiences I've ever wanted, and all of the feelings that I've ever wanted, I'd had.  I've had them, and I've won.
The problem/opportunity is that life isn't over,  which means that there's more winning at life to do.  And while I struggle to figure out the other ways in which I want to win at life, I know that if I'm going to be here, I'm gonna be here to win.

Comments

Popular Posts