Afraid of Life.

I'll be 30 in a few months. No kids, nothing to protect. I feel like I should be taking on the whole world and living loudly. Instead I've been sitting in; going to my labor job (albeit a good labor job) when called. Knowing I want oh so much more.

I am a man of great talent and ability and ideally, I'm full of ideas and ambitions and good at talking you up as far as what I wanna do. That said, something has always held me back. Fear.

I think it fair to admit at this point that I've been a classic underachiever through life. Fear of failure, fear of stepping out, and fear of being overwhelmed by the world out there has often left me standing on the sidelines while players take their shot at life. Many would see me and say I have my stuff together, but in truth, I have been someone who survives and gets by but has yet to really strive.

Few want to not try. Most want to achieve and to be the best they can be. But comfort exists in their own little world and the brave new world out there can be overwhelming. From there, the pressure mounts. And a person can feel like they HAVE to do something. If they were overwhelmed and intimidated before, then they are downright terrified now. Few will admit it, because nobody wants to say that they're scared or intimidated, but as one who feels like fear is the source of much that hinders us, and as one who has daily seen fear at work in his own life, I know that it exists in the minds of the underachiever.

I have felt like the kid standing on the side of the swimming pool afraid to jump in but wanting so badly to jump in. (Can't swim, by the way) When am I gonna jump? When am I gonna make that move? I can say I will, but that's what I have been doing. This I will say, though. Admission of the truth, regardless of what you, the reader, may think of me, has lifted a weight off of my shoulders. Recognition of where I'm at now is always the first step of finding my direction.

Comments

Popular Posts