To the Unknown Providers

I can no longer make my fruit smoothie in the morning without considering the hard working people out in those farm fields who toil like hell to provide the fruits and vegetables for our consumption to provide for themselves and their families. In fact, since I eat so many plant and vegetable-based foods, its difficult to  have a meal without considering these folks, and admiring their grind for a better life. I understand, only a little bit, being a worker at a bread factory that bakes, and ships, to grocery stores all across this state. But I’m willing to bet that my pay far exceeds those of the field worker, and I’m sure that my working environment is much more comfortable, and the work itself is less strenuous.
Its a small bit of gratitude and perspective that I get in the morning, rather unexpectedly. I did not start making fruit smoothies before work until a few weeks ago, and I did it as a healthy alternative to cold cereals.  But with my eyes constantly on the plight of humanity, and knowing that many of those out in those fields who provide us these foods are migrant workers who are toiling a hell of a lot harder than I about to, and for a hell of a lot less, I might add, its served to give me the perspective from which gratitude springs forth.

Being that I wake up at midnight for 1am shifts, I’ve always said that despite the hard work, as well as my sometimes difficult colleagues, the hardest part of my job is getting up for it. Even that has become a whole lot easier now. As for those working out in those fields, and who provide for me, I can never say that I've walked in your shoes, so it wouldn’t be wise to offer words from a place which I do not understand.  But, I see you. I recognize you, and I acknowledge you. Bless up.

Comments

Popular Posts