Back To Work

I guess here at 'The Plant', bread distribution is so important that they have to modify our work schedules to accommodate it. Normally, we are off on Thursdays.  However, because New Years Day fell on Wednesday, which we were off, and God forbid that we have two consecutive days off, they've seen to it that we would distribute on Thursday.  This seems to have thrown some of my less than esteemed co-workers off, who, despite the notices on the schedule and also on bulletins, were without a trace on this morning.  Less workers means more work.  More work means overtime. Good for our bank accounts, but not so great for our bodies.  Give and take, I guess.
The thing I despise about my working environment is the lack of professionalism.  No shade of any of my colleagues, but the truth is that we're all just here to be here.  We clock in.  We do some bland, soul-crushing type of work.  We get paid.  End of story.  Its the nature of the job.  I, for one, always know that for some of the men in my crew with families, this is a lifeline -especially considering this economy.  Personally, I just want to make 'being efficient' an everyday practice.
I miss a workplace where everyone is striving towards a goal or an accomplishment that will be meaningful to them.  There is nothing like injecting passion into what you do; the energy and self-fulfillment that springs from that is an igniting force.  There's little hope of that happening here. These types of jobs aren't built for that.  Here, it is just about getting through the day, getting home, getting on with life, and getting enough rest to be able to wake up at an ungodly hour to do it all again.

Keeps the bills paid, though.

Comments

Popular Posts