Spanish Victory and the Mexican Debate That Followed.

Earlier Sunday, while at work, one of my colleagues: a young, Latino kid no older than 21 asked me why Latinos don't speak out loudly about the oppressions handed to them by European colonial invaders. He pointed out that he thought "Blacks" or Africans in America, always speak on the issues of Slavery and Jim Crow and other racial suppressions that happen to them "as if they're the only ones it happened to", but Latinos don't seem to carry the same "bitterness".  He wondered if Africans were overly sensitive, or if Latinos were just too passive.  (I should point out that even the term 'Latino' is a product of European Colonialism but for the sake of familiarity, I'll use it here.  My apologies to those who might be offended)

When Spain won the World Cup, it seemed to blast open a Pandora's Box of conversation.  Should 'Latinos', Mexicans to be specific, be rooting for Spain and celebrating their victory? This is the Spain whose 'Conquistadores' came from far lands to the new world and who succeeded in the destruction of millions, the sacking or proud civilizations,  and in the imposing of a language, religion and culture of their own that to this day shapes the lives of hundreds of millions in what we know as 'Latin America'.  No nation embodied and carried out European colonialism to its pilliaging, vicious, yet encompassing apex than the Spanish. No people were hit harder by the Spanish invasion, perhaps, than the Mexica, or Aztec people. An fantastic empire was sacked and destroyed. A culture had been completely reduced to a minimum. It would take too much space and time to give the detailed history of that Spanish conquest, but the Mexican, as we know him or her today, is a far far far cry from the Mexica that stood hundreds of years back. 

First fired those who almost immediately started to denounce anything Spanish as soon as the ball struck from the foot of Andres Iniesta hit the back of the net for the game's winning and only goal. Claims of the racism, past and present, reminders of what the Spanish did to ensure the destruction of the civilizations of the Ancient Americas as well as the enslavement of millions of Africans, declarations that the Spanish Empire is among the bloodiest and cruelist in modern world history, all were reasons why they felt they could NEVER support Spain.  In response came those not debating these things, but rather asking what this history has to do with the eleven guys kicking the ball around the pitch? Football is football, they argued. Politics, social justice, and colonialism is another.  Either way, the game sparked a debate among many in the Mexican community that, in conjunction with my young colleague's inquiry, came right on time. 

As a fan of FC Barcelona, and therefore a fan of many of the players on the Spanish national team, I rooted for Spain in the final vs Holland. I'm neither Spanish, nor Dutch.  Thus I have no national interest.  I was watching football, or soccer, and I left it at that.  Until my friends reminded me, never in my thoughts did the old Spanish Empire and their exploits come to mind. I can accept past colonialism without condoning its effects and the crimes that were committed because what happened, happened. It happened, and I cannot change it. History SUCKS like that. But just like I cannot, in good conscience, hold a white American's foot to the fire based on what their great great greatgrandfathers have done, I cannot, in good conscience, air out a living Spaniard for what was done by a so called 'Conquistador' many, many years ago.  I cannot, in good conscience, wish failure on a Spaniard just because they are Spanish. The individuals who sanctioned and carried out the genocidal burtality and terrorism of the Spanish Empire are no longer here. Retribution and/or dislike to a living, breathing Spaniard who had nothing to do with its terrible past, all because they were born Spaniard, is as illogical as someone hating my kids for what I have done. I must take the high road...and I will.

Being African as well as Mexican, I know how often we make mention of Slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, and the entire history of the black experience in America.  "Latinos', historically harsh victims of colonialism themselves, speak on it much less. Maybe that's because we're in North America, not Spain.  Maybe its because its not as fresh.  But I learned from this expierence that indeed, the bitterness, the pain, and the lingering affects are definately there. I think this revelation is a good step. For me, its an oppurtunity to see a sector of the Mexican population express themselves regarding the colonialism that destroyed a part of our rich ancestural culture. Most importantly, it shines a light and gives a greater glory to the glorious legacy of the civilization that existed on this land, the beauty of the Mexica, the language of Nahuatl, the might of the Aztec. My hope, is that our history becomes retold.


...Because I have a lot to learn 


By the way, Spain travels to Mexico for a friendly game on Aug. 11.  To me, its a soccer match and that's what it will remain. I will be rooting for Mexico.

Comments

Popular Posts