Thankul for a Time or Thankful for a Lifetime?

I really appreciate this time of year. 

Very few instances throughout the year do I actually put time aside to get with the family and just celebrate for the sake of celebrating.  Living alone, and having to bear the weight of living alone, I guess my personal business and pleasure tends to get in the way of such meaningful interaction.  Thanksgiving and the holiday season really provides that sort of opening for not just me I assume, but for all of us.  Among all of the things we're supposed to be thankful for, I am thankful for the time.  That time. Those moments.


What happens now that Thanksgiving is over? Do we go back to embracing thoughts and feelings considered ungrateful, selfish, superficial? Do all of those sentimental feelings that we experience and share during those great times all begin to subside?  I always said that its easier to be thankful when you're fat full. What about when you start to get hungry again?  Ha!

My only problem with the holidays and with Thanksgiving has nothing to do with the day itself but rather how many of us go about it.  My hope is that its not a 'stop-gap' of being thankful and grateful for a time before going back to selfish, superficial lifestyles.  Lets hope that its more of a time of rememberance, of a re-affirmation of the thankfulness that we feel and experience on an everyday basis.  For it is my true belief that if you show me a thankful person, I'll show you a happy person.   Maybe you have, but I've never met a happy ingrate. 

May we all carry on the attitude of giving thanks not just on the fourth Thursday in November, but at all times. To be thankful, you would have to feel favored, fortunate, and blessed; and its damn hard to be mad feeling like that!  See ya.

Comments

Popular Posts