Love Without Merit

I've never loved based on merit.  Describing a reason why I have so much love for someone has never come down to what they've done or not done.  Never has my love ever been earned. I do not love based on merit.

I believe very firmly that most of us are truly giving this life the best go we can possibly give it.  So many factors impact our individual journeys: Old wounds, great fears, a thirst for what we've been told matters.  But I love you because I feel you.  I know when you're acting out in frustration and fear, when your pain makes you fight and when your fear causes you to hate; when the preservation of your significance drives selfish pursuits that lack general regard.  I know how much life's victories mean, and the feelings of exuberance and joy, passion and pleasure.  I know what it is to just laugh, feel, touch, explore, and experience.  I get it.  I get it all.

There's a difference between loving and trusting; and to get into my trust, well, that is earned.  To be a partner, or to be anyone with a considerable amount of access to me, it's reasonable that a certain level of merit has to be gained.

But love?  My love is not for the perfect, nor the prudent.  Look at those whom you love.  I suspect that neither is yours. 

Comments

Popular Posts