New Motivation

Last night, I saw what I needed to see. What did I see? I saw someone who was in the same web design class as me, absolutely kicking my ass as far as progress was concerned. He had pumped out some awesome designs since that class! As for me? Well, still trying to learn the ropes. I’ll overlook the fact that he, much like everybody else in that class except for me, had some kind of experience in either web, or design. The fact is that his designs were killer, and he was turning a business out of it while I have been here still stuck in neutral.

That was all I needed to see. For better or for worse, I’m a competitor. I need to have that bar, that measuring stick with which to measure myself. Now I have it and now I consider myself far, far behind. I know I’ve been slack. I know I’ve lost focus and what’s more is this guy, I remember his work ethic. It totally bust mines in the chop. Now, to be fair to myself (which is something that I get accused of not being),  I don’t know if he has a very very physical night job that takes out so much energy. Or whether or not he has the sort of schedule that makes it as difficult to get a good decent nights rest to keep the mind fresh. At this point, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is not so much him, but by seeing his work, I now know for a fact that I could have accomplished so much more than I have.

I have let go of quite a few things, things that have impacted my personal life, to focus on this web design. But if I have been truly honest to myself, none of those personal decisions I made have generated in me the type of motivation needed to drive ahead in web design and development. I think tonight I finally have that motivation.

Comments

Popular Posts